5 Strategies for Driving Supply Chain Sustainability

 



As a Purchasing Agent, I am in a unique position to drive change. Here are some ideas I have been developing to help reduce my company's ecological impact. They also have the potential to increase our profit margin, so it's a win-win scenario (bonus!).
 
1. Optimize Inbound Shipping
- When ordering multiple items from the same manufacturer or
distributor, I can request they all be sent in the same shipment (better
planning and scheduling helps with this too). This will not only reduce freight
costs, it will also reduce the amount of fuel needed to transport the goods I
order, thus reducing carbon emissions.
 
2. Request Eco-friendly packaging from vendors
- This one could add a bit of cost initially, but more and more
options are available now, so those costs should go down over time
 
3. Purchase Eco-friendly packaging for our shipping department
- See above
 
4. Evaluate the sustainable practices of potential and current
vendors

- I often face a time crunch in purchasing, so this isn't always
practical, but I need to make this a priority, particularly when evaluating a
new long-term supplier
 
5. Buy Local Whenever Possible
- Not only is it good to invest in the local economy, it is better
for the environment. Buying locally reduces both the cost of transportation and
the amount of fuel needed for said transport of goods.
 
 
My fellow purchasers, buyers, procurement agents, and sourcing
specialists - we can make a difference! It can start with you and me. #todayistheday
 
 
#sustainability #ecofriendly #green #climatechange #reduceemissions #reducereuserecycle #purchasing 


Photo by Li-An Lim on Unsplash



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Navigating the "Maize": Simplifying the Modern Supermarket

Longing for Simplicity